[Dixielandjazz] Cartoon Music one more time

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 23 17:15:10 PST 2007

on 1/23/07 7:04 PM, Stan Brager at sbrager at socal.rr.com wrote:

> Steve;
>
> I believe the reason why people keep on dissing you about cartoon music is
> that you always referring to some music in cartoons differently than others.

I think you totally missed the point.  For example What I said in the post
you are answering was:

"Gee Whiz guys, you unfairly paint Wiggins and me as dissing cartoon
music..." (snip).

You seem to have turned that around to read "people keep on dissing me".
Could you let me know who is dissing me? I seem to have missed that.

> In other words, you are the one who's confused the issue. You listen to the
> music of the "Figaro" cartoon and say that it's not cartoon music. It an
> opera by Mozart. Then, you listen to a Loony Tunes cartoon which presents a
> 10 second quote from a jazz (in my opinion) recording and call that
> composer's music cartoon music.

Stan. I think, if you want to correctly analyze my posts, you need to
carefully read what I write, and then understand it before you paraphrase it
incorrectly like you just did above. Basically I refer to cartoon music as
cartoon music. BTW, I thought Figaro was a cat.

> You can't have it both ways. Either it's cartoon music or you go back to the
> source and declare it to be what it is.

Why would that necessarily be true? Why can't music be both, or more than
one thing? Like aren't we always saying that "jazz" was also "popular music"
in the 1920? Aren't we having it both ways?

> Yes, Carl Stallings and others have adapted music from the jazz, classical,
> popular etc. fields. If you like, you can label Stallings' musical collages
> as cartoon music. As a general rule, cartoon music is subordinate to the
> actions of the cartoon characters on the screen. In the theatre, they'd call
> it incidental music.

Of whose "general rule" are you speaking? I have never heard the category
"incidental music". But if I do, I'll know what to call it now.

> Therefore, to make a statement like referring to Raymond Scott's
> "Powerhouse" snippet as cartoon music while "Figaro is not is preposterous.

Once again, re-read and then understand what I wrote. Do not incorrectly
paraphrase what I said as you are doing above. Seems to me that I said
Figaro, as it relates to the cartoon, was cartoon music. Didn't we just have
this discussion AT LENGTH, OFF LIST? Please re-read what I wrote you.

> You may not think that "Powerhouse" is jazz - that's fine by me. I think it
> is jazz The musicians who recorded "Powerhouse" thought it was jazz (from
> Dave Harris and Raymond Scott).  Many of Scott's contemporaries also thought
> it was jazz.

So what? Why bring it up again?

> I don't seek to change your opinion of "Powerhouse". I do hope that you
> would be consistent in your appraisals.

I think if you carefully read, and then understand what I say, you will find
that I am quite consistent. If you want to prove that I am not consistent,
then do it  by quoting me, in context, over the discussion points, and show
me the inconsistency, rather than putting words in my mouth (which I did not
say) as you have done in your post.

This will get very boring to others and I suggest, if you want to discuss
this minutia again, we take it off list again

Cheers,
Steve