[Dixielandjazz] DJML, Digital Piano Amplifier

richard88jazz at nycap.rr.com richard88jazz at nycap.rr.com
Tue Jan 23 12:36:53 PST 2007

Audrey:
Here's the way to go for a small to medium room:  Pick up a BOSE computer media set with sub-woofer, 2 VERY small satellite speakers and volume control pad (this is what you'd use as a computer sound system).  I forgot the model designation, but can look it up for you if you need it.  All the computer/electronic stores have this item (Best Buy, for instance) - you can do better price-wise (lists for around $269) on the internet.
What you'll get is an EXTREMELY fine audio sound - crisp and clean, no distortion and plenty enough volume.  What I do is put the sub-woofer on the floor and the 2 small speakers at each end of the piano (on top) with the volume control nearby.  The heaviest part is the subwoofer at maybe 12-15#.  The whole thing is VERY portable and will do a great job for you at a modest price and about as small and lightweight as you can get for the quality sound you need.
Another way ( I also have one of these): Apple just came out with an IPod Hi-Fi system, lists for around $400 - again, internet will get you best price.  This is a SINGLE box, about 16"L x 5" x 5" with built in sub-woofer and tweeters and maybe 15# total!!  I just hang this under the piano and it's done (you can also just set the thing on the floor).  As good a sound as the BOSE, maybe even more volume capability!!  Only drawback: there is no bass/treble adjustment (the BOSE has this) so I use an external equalizer box to cut down on the bass (when we have a bass or tuba in the band).  The equalizer is not really necessary, but does give you the flexibility for output tone adjustment.
I'm getting older where lighter and smaller is definitely BETTER and have found the above ideal solution to my portability/lugging problems!!   However, for larger rooms/big crowds or outdoor venues, you'll still need a much larger system to carry the piano sound - no way around it!!
Note that either of these systems will serve only your piano - there's only a single 1/8" stereo jack input for either system.  These are not PA system mixers that you can load up with mikes, etc.  However, even in large rooms or outdoors, I still use this system as a local monitor so I can hear the piano while I'm playing.
Hope this helps.

Richard Skrika
3 Anyhow Lane
Gansevoort, NY 12831