[Dixielandjazz] Jazz in South Florida

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 20 14:59:54 PST 2007

Jerry Gordon <jerrygordon at juno.com> wrote
> Subject: [Dixieland jazz] OKOM in FL

> We'll be in the general area of West Palm Beach, FL, from Fri 1/26 - Fri
> 2/2. I'm looking for some OKOM to listen to, but I'm especially
> interested in anyplace where I can sit in on washboard for a few numbers.
>
> Anyone have anything to offer??

Hi Jerry:

The "Hags" play as follows: Should be there Jan 28, up the road a piece and
they welcome participating musicians. Site is: http://hagsjazz.com/
Hags = HOT ALLIGATOR & GUMBO SOCIETY and claim to present the best Dixieland
Jazz in South Florida.

OUR JAZZ SESSIONS

Monthly Jazz Sessions are held on the 4th Sunday of every month, at the Elks
Lodge 700 N.E. 10th Street - Across from Pompano Airport.

The feature band kicks off promptly at 1:00 pm and the Grand Finale, where
all musicians take the stage for the playing of the "Saints" ends at 4.30
pm. Admission for members is $5:00 and for guests $10:00 ( participating
musicians-free).

In the absence of other specific trad recommendations, check the following
web sites for jazz music in the area. Some might be pleasurable for you.

http://www.jazz-clubs-worldwide.com/docs/florida.htm

OR for an eclectic experience, try Arturo Sandoval's Jazz Club at the
Deauville in Miami Beach, see:

http://www.deauvillebeachresort.com/jazz.asp

You might also check out the South Beach area when you get there. Hang out
with the kids etc.  Hope you guys have a great time in the sun.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone