[Dixielandjazz] Was Jazz Ever Popular? Will It Be Again? Oh Yeah!

Bigbuttbnd at aol.com Bigbuttbnd at aol.com
Thu Jan 18 05:30:38 PST 2007

Sorry if this arrived twice but I kept sending it and it never showed up on
the list...

Great points, Larry and Charlie.

I, too, believe that Rock and Roll went country! In my way of thinking Buddy
Holly was driving early Rock toward a country sound (along with Elvis, Bill
Haley, Pat Boone to a degree, and others) but his early demise left a leadership
hole and then the British invasion (which was fueled by the influence of
American R&B in England) sent us squarely back to R&B and Soul as the path for
Rock N Roll. Only 2 things could compete with the British at the time: The Beach
Boys and Motown. Motown was obviously from the R&B school but the Beach Boys,
curiously enough, were a blend of Chuck Berry guitar and sophisticated,
JAZZ-INFLUENCED, vocal harmonies. Brian Wilson has readily admitted that his 2
favorite influences growing up were Chuck Berry and the Four Freshmen with their
modern jazz influenced vocal harmonies. The Beach Boys generated a little stir
on the West Coast but I don't think of them as generating a "new school" of
music like Motown did. (I'm not saying they weren't amongst the most popular
groups of all time... I'm saying there are not a lot of current groups that you
can trace directly back to the Beach Boys as major influences.)

It wasn't until the 70s when Southern Rock burst on the scene with groups
like The Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd, the Atlanta Rhythm Section, Wet Willie
(and more) that a new branch of Rock headed back toward Country and kind of
linked up to the traditions that Buddy Holly had started. Today you would
categorize a Lynyrd Skynyrd tune (if it were coming out now) as a Country genre!
Even the Eagles and the Doobie Brothers sound more like today's country. Things
have changed.

I'm one that is completely unperplexed about Dixieland being something other
than the "Popular" music of today. To me music is music and I hear the
influences of Dixieland, Louis Armstrong and more in all sorts of examples in today's
music. I'm from the school that says all of it, as far back as 1860 in
America and maybe further, is DANCE music! Most music in the last 150 years that is
rendered with a discernible beat, is DANCE music. Written to be danced to. I'm
not talking about classical music or church music or Marches or moonlight and
magnolia slow ballads (although there is some argument for that) or music
written for a movie expressly created to render a MOOD for the story on the
screen... but Popular music by its very nature exists to be DANCED to. And
Traditional Jazz is no exception. Armstrong, as a boy, stood at the door of the Funky
Butt Club and watched and heard and learned from the musicians playing for the
dancers who were "grinding away" to this new improvised music. He soaked that
up and took it with him (obviously adding a heck of a lot along the way)!

But Americans have always had that ADHD tendency that you adroitly point
out... the biggest difference between then and now is the SPEED at which new ideas
are communicated throughout the country. Word of mouth in the 1830s, Minstrel
shows in the late 1800s, sheet music at the turn of the century, Vaudeville
in the early 1900s, radio and records and movies in the 20s, television in the
50s, the Internet today... each mode adds a new and faster component and
American's have had, and continue to have, the capacity to learn and use these
"new" technologies at an ever increasing pace. And with the new technologies comes
more choice... and less patience for the same thing in more than a few minute
increments before moving on.

I think good music of any style today, played well and energetically, will
find an audience that appreciates it. One advantage we have today as OKOM
musicians is that most people younger than us have never heard the music we play and
often their discovery of it is just as exciting for them as it was for their
great-grandparents in 1925. However, there are more choices available for
today's listener than for those in 1925 so they quickly move on. One constant,
though, that doesn't change and hasn't changed since way before Jazz was born is
the ENTERTAINMENT factor. If it is not entertaining then it will be tossed
aside quickly. That was true in 1825, 1925 and will be true in 2025. Musicians
relate to Louis Armstrong for his high caliber of creativeness and technical
skills.... we call it musicianship. But for non-musicians the draw was his
ability to ENTERTAIN. Perhaps his 60+ year career is more attributable to the public
being constantly entertained by him than by his sheer musicianship alone.

Eddie Davis, the great NY banjo player once gave a lecture that I attended in
which he theorized and demonstrated that each time a new musical genre was
introduced in America it always started as a very SIMPLE structure, especially
harmonically. And then, as great musicians picked up the banner and began to
fiddle with it, it naturally became more and more complex until it reached a
point where the general public could no longer UNDERSTAND it. At that point a new
genre, once again very SIMPLE, got introduced and the cycle slowly repeated
itself. Over and Over. You can trace that through church music, Country and
Western and, more obviously to us... Jazz (popular music). Early Jazz was simple
and recognizable from a harmonic standpoint. As more advanced musicians either
took up the music or grew up in the music it became more and more complex
until the Birth of the Cool and perhaps FREE JAZZ became unintelligible to most
of the public and many of the musicians. Bang! 3 chord Rock N Roll comes in.
Even over rock's history we find complexity creeping in and suddenly a new
SIMPLE genre bursts forth: Punk, Grunge, Alternate, and more. Always back to 3
chords and something simple and new. Even rap in many ways is a return to super
simplicity in answer to an incredibly high level of harmonic complexity of R&B
artists like Al Green and Lionel Ritchie.

We are dance musicians. Our forefathers, who created it, were dance
musicians. Put our music in a museum and it dies. Play it like it is in a museum and it
dies. But that's true of any music. Play it in an entertaining way so that
people can move and groove to it and it soars. We often, as musicians, confuse
what the music means to US as being the same thing as what the music means to
non-musicians... and, in my opinion, that is our greatest source of confusion
and angst. Joe Public will never have the passion for any music for long that
compares to the passion of the musician who plays it. We should not expect them
to do so. We will always be disappointed in the outcome if we do. We can pass
SOME of our passion along to them through our energy on stage and through our
sincere desire to ENTERTAIN them. Once we master that component the type of
music we play matters little to them. They will follow us.

Another source of confusion and angst for us is the record business. Once we
finally realize that the MUSIC BUSINESS, as we know it today and for the past
100 years is a MANUFACTURING business. The record company makes records (now
CDs) just like Ford makes cars. The only difference is that they need musicians
to play and perform as an enticement for the public to buy their product.
Somewhere somebody thought it might be useful to make the musician feel important
by calling what he does ART. Tain't so. It may BE art..  to us and a few
other folks... but it's not ART to them any more than the latest Ford Fusion is
ART to Ford. It is a product that needs a workforce to design it and a separate
work force to manufacture it and a separate work force to distribute it. It is
a numbers driven, bottom-line business like most. There's nothing wrong with
that. If you want to be in the product manufacturing business then get into it
in a big way and let the numbers drive the business as it should be. Produce
only what sells big and take pride in that. If, however, you want to be in the
ENTERTAINMENT business then find a niche and service that niche market better
than anyone else. OKOM is not the product manufacturing business to be in.
Maybe in 1930 it was the ULTIMATE product manufacturing business to be in but
not today. However, OKOM may be the quintessential niche ENTERTAINMENT business
to be in today! After all there is far less competition in the local market
(the cities in which we live) than ever before. But we must observe the rules of
business if we want to succeed... identify our customers, market to them (let
them know we exist), provide what they want (which will always be
ENTERTAINMENT first, music second), and be unique... bring something to the market that
sets us off from the rest of the pack (if there is a pack!) These are the same
things we must do well in ANY business we endeavor to grow. Forget records
(CDs) as a big thing to our business... at best it is a source of additional
income not a revenue stream for riches. Forget what the RECORD companies call
POPULARITY or RADIO PLAY. It's not going to happen to the average OKOM band.
Forget the public CLAMORING for Dixieland... not going to happen. But you could
very likely get the local public to CLAMOR for your individual group if you are
ENTERTAINING, even if you happen to play Dixieland!

One last thing in this TREATISE! For 100 years the Music Business in America
has been about creating, manufacturing and distributing a product (records,
tapes, CDs, DVDs, etc.) and they have held sway because the process of
manufacturing and distributing this product has been too massive and expensive an
undertaking for the average musician to accomplish at home. It just was too much
trouble to press vinyl in your basement and then ship the product to every
record store and radio station in the country. Today, however, the manufacturing
and distribution chain has changed and the record companies are way, way, way
behind in protecting their product (probably too far to ever catch up... the
horse is already long gone from the barn!). Not just protecting it from
piracy.... but preventing you and me from creating, manufacturing, distributing and
SELLING the same product in our basement. Since everything in the Music Business
revolves around selling THE PRODUCT the whole business plan is now up for
grabs. Survival for them means finding something new that they can get out ahead
of and PROTECT. I believe that the next great product will be PEOPLE. Live
performances (maybe showing on your HDTV in your living room but still the real
live thing!). We're not far from being able to order a LIVE concert on a massive
scale as a pay per view item (in fact, it's been done several times already).
The protection comes from the provider being able to prevent you from seeing
it without paying for it. The technology will prevent you from copying it as
well. The exclusivity of the live performance beamed to any computer in the
world is the ultimate product... you can't get it anywhere else but from the
artist that performs it. The Music Business will be looking for (and paying for)
ENTERTAINERS at that time. The worm will have turned! I hope we live long
enough to see it!

My 4 cents worth, anyway!

Take Care.

Rocky Ball - banjo