[Dixielandjazz] Cartoon music - one last time?

Dingo roadie at btinternet.com
Fri Jan 19 10:09:22 PST 2007

Charlie Coleman wrote:

Hi Listees,   Surprised that no one yet has mentioned my favorite cartoon
music, namely the Betty Boop classics with Cab Calloway, Don Redman and a
host of other black bands of the 20's.   Just an observation.    Are we done
now?

Not quite:
While agreeing with you 100% on the Betty Boop music, Charlie, my own all
time favourite cartoon soundtrack is on a Tom & Jerry cartoon called, I
believe, "Saturday Night Puss" - or similar - where Tom invites three of his
mates around for a party. The 'featured' music is pure Lionel Hampton
pyrotechics style in fact, it sounds liked Hamp playing both the drums and
the piano and even the xylophone. When I first joined DJML back in 1998 I did
ask if anyone knew who the musicians involved might be, but drew a blank. A
few years later I did chance upon - going from memory of the T&J item - an
almost identical piece in my tape collection but was not able to compare both
recordings at the time. The tape item has long since vanished back into the
collection and remains yet to be re-re-discovered.
~
John D