[Dixielandjazz] Trad Jazz Youth Band Festival Returns February 10th, Sacramento

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Thu Jan 18 19:12:41 PST 2007

Listmates,

Our Youth Trad Jazz Festival was so successful last year that we are having
the 2nd one again this year, Feb 10, 2007.

If anyone would like to help out by purchasing tickets, please do.  We lost
the Sees Candy sponsorship that we had last year so we could really use the
financial help.

See below.

Second annual Trad Jazz Youth Band Festival Returns February 10th

     This year, we are pleased to warmly welcome the Trinity Western
University Dixieland
Jazz Band from Langley, British Columbia, to our youth band festival. They
and STJS
Prez Bob Williams will be guests on
 Capital Jazz Radio's (FM 90.9) "Insight" program with host Jeffrey Callison
from
2 PM to 3 PM Friday, Feb. 9th.

     Later on that Friday evening, come on down to Old Sacramento and enjoy
some
jazz 'n' pizza at the Youth Band Festival's hosted jam session from 7 PM to
9 PM,
Friday Feb. 9th at the Old Sacramento Round Table Pizza.  Student musicians
from
participating schools and jazz clubs are welcomed to sit in a few tunes with
the
Clinicians house band.  Ron Jones has organized a rousing band that includes
Bob
Draga, so don't miss the fun!  No charge for admission.

     The next day on Sat. Feb. 10th, the Youth Band Festival competition
runs from
8 AM to 5 PM with 18 bands in three performance venues all under one roof in
Capistrano
Hall on the Sac State campus, 6000 J Street, Sacramento
(Directions below).  $10

festival passes purchased at the door include admission to the band
competition,
lead-sheet clinics, master classes, Trad Jazz lecture/demo, a new
mini-concert at
1 pm featuring special guest artist Bob Schulz and the Clinicians' Band, and
the
Evening Showcase and Awards Concert from 7 PM to 9 PM in the Music Recital
Hall in
Capistrano Hall.  The evening concert features top bands from the festival,
special
cornet guest Bob Schulz and the Clinicians' Band including Bob Draga.

Students age 21 and under will be admitted at no charge to the daytime
portion of
the festival.

Purchasers of the pre-sale, $10 festival tickets can return completed ticket
stubs
to be entered into four drawings for lobster dinners for two at the Red
Lobster on
Howe Avenue in Sacramento.  Tickets may be purchased from Andy Blackett,
STJS board
members, STJS jazz education committee members and at the STJS office,
916/372-5277.  Need not be
present to win at the drawing during the festival's evening Showcase and
Awards Concert.

Driving directions to nearby Sac State from Dante Club:  Turn left (west)
onto
Fair Oaks Blvd.  After passing the signal at Howe Ave, Fair Oaks becomes J
Street.
Cross the J Street Bridge, and the main entrance to the Sac State campus
will be
on the left side at the Carlson Drive signal.  Turn left into the campus and
take
an immediate curve to the right onto University Drive North, which loops
clock-wise
around the campus.  After passing the soccer field and softball field on the
left,
the multi-story Parking Structure 1 will be at the Sinclair Road stop sign.
Turn
left on Sinclair Road and enter the lot, which is the student side. Vehicles
can
be parked at no charge on the student side of the Parking Structure 1, which
is adjacent
to Capistrano Hall.

For an online campus map, please go to:

http://itweb.csus.edu/map/

     For more festival information:

www.sacjazz.org/youthfestival/

call (916) 372-5277 or email youthbandfest at sacjazz.org

--Bob Ringwald K6YBV
916/806-9551
www.ringwald.com
--
Leader, The Fulton Street Jazz Band
www.fultonstreetjazz.com

In a perfect world, O.J. Simpson would have married Lorena Bobbitt.