[Dixielandjazz] Sex in OKOM was Cartoon Music

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 18 14:48:43 PST 2007

"charles coleman" <charliew8fim at verizon.net>

> Hi Listees,   Surprised that no one yet has mentioned my favorite cartoon
> music, namely the Betty Boop classics with Cab Calloway, Don Redman and a host
> of other black bands of the 20's.   Just an observation.    Are we done now?
> Charlie "Boop-Boop-a-Doop" Coleman

Not so fast Charlie. The book review about cartoon music, which I posted,
had this to say about the Fleischer Studio, creators of curvaceous Ms. Boop
(and Popeye). The book itself says quite a bit more about these sexy toons
and some sexy tunes by Calloway et al that went with them:

"Cartoon musicians also made ingenious use of jazz according to the
essayists in The Cartoon Music Book. From the sexually charged
collaborations between the Fleischer Studio (home of Betty Boop and Popeye)
and Cab Calloway and Louis Armstrong . . ."

Ms. Boop and Olive Oyl. Two different women, but each very sexy in her own
way. Every time we play a swing dance, we see Boops and Oyls out there on
the dance floor. Oh my.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS. Yeah, I know Paul, sex again.