[Dixielandjazz] FW: FW: RedGorilla Music Fest seeks bands - AustinTX

Mike Marois Mike.Marois at hirelivemusic.com
Thu Jan 18 12:45:02 PST 2007

		Hey Cash et al;

I've got to chime in on this one on two counts.  First, the French Quarter Festival in New Orleans is one of those pay to play festivals.  I was getting ready to put my group in one year until I heard about the fee, then I backed out.  But after I had thought it over, it would have been nothing to go around town and drum up some corporate sponsorship for that gig with the local businesses around the region.  The face of festival gigging has changed from being asked to play to finding your own backing and paying to perform and promoting your corporate sponsors.  Just think of the income potential if you've got merchandise to sell at a large festival venue.

The second point is, the "Dukes of Dixieland" didn't play that showcase in Las Vegas, Jon Shoup's "New Orleans' Own Dukes of Dixieland" played that gig.  The band "Dukes of Dixieland" died back in 1974 with the passing of my Uncle Frank Assunto, and thank goodness finally the jazz community is realizing this fact.  Word on the street in N.O. is that other band has been asked to take a pay cut on their gigs and they've been asked to cut back to a trio on their riverboat gig.

Mike
http://www.theDukesofDixieland.com
http://www.theREALDukes.com