[Dixielandjazz] Re. Jimmy Cheatham (1924-2007) -- R.I.P.

Nancy Giffin NANCYink at surewest.net
Wed Jan 17 11:23:41 PST 2007

Message: 9
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 09:39:02 -0700
From: Mike <mike at railroadstjazzwest.com>
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Jimmy Cheatam (1924-2007)

<<... married to Jeannie Cheatham. They were a performing duo for
quite sometime...>>

Hi, Mike,

Yes, Jeannie and Jimmy Cheatham (correct spelling) were to be honored at the
upcoming San Diego Jazz Party (Feb. 23-25) for their lifetime achievements.
I was looking forward to seeing them there. Here is what was posted earlier
on the SD Jazz Party Web site:

³Jimmy was born in Birmingham, Alabama, in 1924. After moving to Buffalo in
the late 1930s, he was a top sideman with the bands of Fletcher Henderson,
Don Redman, Cab Calloway, Jimmie Lunceford and Count Basie. He was musical
director and arranger for Chico Hamilton and toured with Duke Ellington. The
Cheathams recorded a series of successful albums for Concord Records, often
playing songs they had written or that were arranged by Jimmy. In San Diego,
Jimmy was professor of music at UCSD until he retired in 1993. He continued
at UCSD as director of the university's Jazz Ensemble, retiring in 2005. The
Cheathams have performed at festivals here and abroad. The motto of ŒThe
Sweet Baby Blues Band¹ is ŒNobody goes home feeling bad.¹"

To read Jimmy's bio and to read the story behind Jeannie¹s song, ³Meet Me
With Your Black Drawers On,² visit their Web site, click here:
http://www.jeanniecheatham.com/

RIP, Jimmy.

Love and hugs,
Nancy