[Dixielandjazz] Cartoon Music

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 17 08:20:10 PST 2007

Bill Haesler <bhaesler at bigpond.net.au> wrote (polite snip)

> "If the melodies of Raymond Scott sound familiar--they should. You've heard
> them countless times underscoring the mayhem of Daffy Duck, Bugs Bunny, the
> Road Runner, and other Warner Bros. madcaps.
>
> - - To modern ears, Raymond Scott Quintet recordings sound like classic
> cartoon music. The producers of Ren & Stimpy felt so, and added Scott's
> novelties to their anarchic creations, thereby introducing Scott to a new
> generation of cartoon cultists. The Simpsons, Animaniacs, The Oblongs, and
> Duckman and have also featured Scott melodies.

Both Bill and I agree that Raymond Scott may not have written music
specifically for cartoons.

HOWEVER, his music was extensively used for Cartoon backups.

THEREFORE, To modern ears, and/or some old ears like mine, Raymond Scott
music is correctly identified as "CARTOON MUSIC".

It is EXCELLENT MUSIC but still CARTOON MUSIC, if for no other reason than
the majority of folks today probably associate it with Cartoons and not with
his "jazz" efforts. Especially the Ren & Stimpy, Simpsons et al fans who
don't know trad jazz from a hole in the ground, but do know Cartoon Music.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone