[Dixielandjazz] Cartoon Music

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 17 05:48:22 PST 2007

Dear Bill & Scott & Paul Listmates,

Interesting views.

First, to Bill. We are discussing Portena, not "all the rest of the bands'.
So please, do not reference Nighthawks et al. I did not offer the opinion
that the other bands play cartoon music. From what I heard on THEIR WEB
SITE, Protena plays cartoon music. I carefully listened to all 5 tunes, all
the way through. I am assuming that since they put the tunes up, they like
them as best examples of their work. To me, who grew up with cartoon music,
what they have on their website is indeed "cartoon music."

To Paul. You are absolutely right. "Cartoon Music" is not a pejorative term.
Those that would try and make it so, are defensive when there is no need to
be defensive. There is a lot of really great "cartoon music." out there.

To Scott. Please don't read into what we say that reading charts, makes it
cartoon music. That is definitely NOT the case. I suspect that you may be a
bit younger that Bill and I. We grew up on "cartoon music" which contributed
to our love of trad jazz. And we both like cartoon music.

To Judie. Thank you for being young, but still understanding that we are not
disrespecting "cartoon music". Merely using it in a descriptive manner.

To the list. Thank you for your opinions and for the way they were
expressed, without rancor. Is this a great list, or what?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone