[Dixielandjazz] Report on IAJE from a young 20 something who attended

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Sun Jan 14 19:31:53 PST 2007

Hi Martin: and all:

  Here is a thought to emphasize what I keep harping on about them not
being visible or speaking out loud enough to be heard or even noticed.
JUST WHO and where are these "Traditional Jazz Educators" and where
indeed and who are they Actually teaching Traditional Jazz ??    As I
said, several of my own band mates are active members in the IAJE and
so called Jazz Educators, and BLACK Americans, and I have never once
since 1990 heard one word about anything even close to Traditional Jazz
being discussed or mentioned in connection to IAJE and the conference.
  I can also guarantee you that none of my Professors have ever heard
about the Mississippi Rag or American RAG either.    And I would also
bet they are not even aware of the Traditional Jazz Societies all over
N. California.

  None of them are on this list either even though I have invited them
to join it for several years. It is as if they buried this music along
with all the pioneers when they got their teaching degree. And is not
because they don't know the music, heck several of the, are from New
Orleans, but left there 40 years ago because they could not make a
living playing music there then.

  They settled in San Francisco and got teaching jobs and played for
corporate and private parties and underground jazz gigs where they
could blow Dizzy, and Coltrane, and Miles and ignored all the other
good music and just let the scene dry up around here. Certainly have
done nothing about expanding and teaching the Traditional Jazz in their
own classes.  "I have even heard them remark that those kids don't
wanna hear that stuff."   Well of course not, if nobody is taking the
time to teach it to them and get them inspired enough to like it.

  So they simply resort back to EDUCATING the new crop of kids to what
they think is Jazz with an honorable mention about Louis Armstrong on
occasion.  I would dare say that the only Traditional Jazz these guys
have ever seen has been in a fake book, and you can bet they don't have
any Traditional Jazz Recordings on Cassettes or Cds ( except the ones
they have stolen or borrowed from me to learn songs, and never brought
back)  Did I mention that they can play it very well too, and without
charts or fake books.  Great energy and improvisors most of them.

  You see they don't think this style of Jazz is important any longer
even though they make far more money playing it with me than the have
ever made playing modern, bop, or Big Band Jazz, They are happy to play
chump change Salsa gigs in local Bay Area Latino bars and pretending to
be oh so HIP while oggling all the hot young Latin chicks. Most of
those bands they are lucky to make $30.00 to 40.00 for a four hour gig
that usually last six or eight hours. The only guys in most of those
bands even getting paid are the Trombone players, so all that noise
about Trombone players with a pager being the ultimate optimist might
not be correct :))

My point is that the Traditional Jazz genre has simply run out of gas
and or stopped promoting itself to the masses long enough that the only
folks they think are still interested in it and them is the ones in the
cemetery or on their way to it.   Nothing is further from the TRUTH,
BUT WE ALL HAVE TO GET UP AND GO OUT AND MAKE SOME NOISE, and drag
younger folks to the events screaming and kicking if necessary.    You
can take the horse to water but you can't make him drink they say, well
the same thing is true of this music, we can take the kids to the music
but if it ain't good and energetic and interesting they won't listen.
But if it indeed is they will not only listen they will embrace it and
make it their own once they "DISCOVER" it.

There are several bandleaders on this great list that know that and do
it successfully all the time and we are making progress, but we can't
cover the whole world guys, all we ask is all of ya'll git up and do
the same and watch what happens.

 Cheers,

 Tom Wiggins
SAINT GABRIE'S CELESTIAL BRASS BAND

   Who likes to play ROCKIN, SWINGIN, FUNKY, BLUESY, ZYDECOZEE, DIXIE
TRADITIONAL JAZZ WITH A DECIDEDLY MODERN TWIST.