[Dixielandjazz] Which Shakeys?

Don Robertson jdrobertson at att.net
Fri Jan 12 09:25:14 PST 2007

I've mentioned before that I "discovered" Vince Saunder's South Frisco
Band in the summer of 1966 in a Pizza Parlor (not Shakey's) in
Huntington Beach, CA.  On the last night before I moved to Northern Ca,
with Vince's permission, I recorded the whole evening for (my)
posterity.  In the background you can hear, during the first set, all
the families with parents yelling at their kids etc.  By the  last set,
which started sometime after 10, the pitchers of beer were taking
effect, and there were lots of shouts from the audience.  During the
closing number, Friendless Blues, there was much ribald laughter over
something going on, but I don't remember what it was and I WAS THERE.
In later years, I dug out the reel to reel recordings and realized THAT
BAND WAS HOT!  Listmate Fr. Mike, transferred the tapes  to CD's, and I
never get tired of listening to them.

Don Robertson,
Napa, CA