[Dixielandjazz] Drum Solos / was Does anybody love Bop?

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Thu Jan 11 13:35:15 PST 2007

Hi Larry:

  "Wipe Out" was the hot tune when I first started playing drums in a
surfer rock band in California, and of course I had to play it three or
four times a night for a very very long time.   Made me feel like I was
Sandy Nelsen of my day, finally :))   Who was our Teen thrill Drummer
in Rock and roll, who all the hot girls idolized and worshiped like
Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa.   Nows we were really hot stuff, five
guitars and one electric bass and drums ( The Bass player handled the
heavy vocals on that tune )  the only Vocal tune we knew in surfer rock
at the time,   we were heavy into the Ventures, with great tunes like
Walk don't run, etc.  We called our selves  "Tommi & The Saxons"  in
them days.   Whooweee  great fun and so so music, but it was hot for
the day, I never went back to my day job either.

I still have a dollar for every time I played it :))  ha ha   I call it
my retirement fund, which is why I am not planning on retiring any time
soon. :))   I got good enough on it to actually work a N. Calif. tour
with the original band playing teen centers and dances when their
drummer either quit or got fired, don't remember.   Some of you N.
California mouldy figs may have seen me at the Berryessa Bowl Concerts,
or Clear Lake Bowling Alley shows.   we made all the Hot Spots,  or The
Penthouse  or  The IDES Hall, in Hayward, Ca. or the Rollerena in San
Leandro or the Vets Hall in Oakland,  wow lot's of  7 UP & Sloe Gin  in
1/2 pints went into  those shows.  :))

Ahhhhh but the Girls  the Girls  :))

Maybe it's time for a remake on that CLASSIC HIT, WITH ST. GABRIEL'S
AND DOING IT IN MARCHING BAND STYLE, now that would be bringing
something new to the party of OKOM.  hummm !!!!!!!   who knows,  Ask
the Shadow if you see him. :))

Tom   "Wiped Out" Wiggins

    Endless and equally mindless drum solos are thankfully (I hope) a
thing of
the past.  You are absolutely right and they ended  rarely ever close
to the
tempo that it should have been.  I think the tune "wipe out" may have
ended
the fad in thousands of flying sticks across the country.
Larry Walton