[Dixielandjazz] Did Bop Kill Jazz?

Stan Brager sbrager at socal.rr.com
Thu Jan 11 07:35:07 PST 2007

Thanks, Bill, I should have mentioned that the recording was "My Favorite
Things". I found that I could follow Coltrane exploration of the harmonies
and melody of "My Favorite Things" without too much difficulty. The more I
listened, the better I could make sense of Coltrane's "flurry" of notes and
understand how they fit into his overall concept.

This experience was also a learning experience in that I was now able to go
back to the music of other players and composers and make better sense of
what they were doing with the themes. This included some music which I had
liked on a visceral level but lacked the ability to understand what was
happening in the variations.

It was like what occurs when one descends from a high altitude and one's
ears pop.

Stan