[Dixielandjazz] transitions from ragtime to earliest jazz etc was Dixielandjazz traDigest, Vol 49, Issue 27

Ron L lherault at bu.edu
Thu Jan 11 06:04:03 PST 2007

Another factor that I don't think I saw mentioned is the changes in habits
that occurred as a result of taxes and fees.  WWII saw, if I remember
correctly, entertainment and cabaret taxes.  There was rationing, of course.
Venues were taxed differently if they had dance floors.  These things caused
people to go out less.  Clubs eliminated the dance floor to avoid the
taxes/fees and discovered people still came but now they were almost forced
into a listening rather than a participatory function.  The music didn't
have to have the steady beat or excitement of a good jazz tune. (To mention
one aspect of the music.)

Ron L