[Dixielandjazz] Does anybody love Bop?

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Wed Jan 10 15:25:55 PST 2007

While claiming that I love bop for its own sake I have to admit that
when it came out, and probably even today, many young players were
dazzled by the fast notes alone. ("Man, what technique!") Same with
Maynard. ("How DOES he play those fantastic high notes?")--instead of
listening for the ingenuity and beauty of the lines, and being turned
of when there was none. I think that the critics and musicians
themselves pointed this out over time and educated jazz listeners who
cared enough to truly listen.

Also, the worship of chops went back to the swing era, at least for
drummers. Guys thought that they'd be Gene Krupa if they just played
fast enough. Some Jimmy Vincent records with Louie Prima illustrate
this--indeed, at times Krupa himself did. They lost the sense of form
and color that Dodds, Zutty, Spargo, Bauduc, Wettling and others
brought to the music and would thump away at the bass drum in a tedious
flat 4, then bang everything in sight on solos, never counting but
bringing the band in on a preset cue. The sonic potential of the drum
set and the swinging logic of solos was restored and developed by  the
be-boppers with Max Roach as the true genuis/exemplar.

Charlie Suhor