[Dixielandjazz] What happened to Jazz?

pat ladd pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Wed Jan 10 02:59:23 PST 2007

 No more difficult then humming or playing Stevie Wonder's "Sir Duke" t>>

Theres a thought Steve, when was the last time you heard someone whistling
in the street?  I always whistle, anything, from DYKWIM to Misty to Miss
Jenny`s Ball but I must admit I get some strange looks.
This of course maybe because I have a full band playing in my head and I am
only whistling a part, or maybe because I don`t whistle very well.

What would the modern youngster whistle? There are no tunes which I can
discern in the stuff I hear on the radio.

Not sure about the timing of the demise of jazz. Perhaps it was different in
the States. I can never remember OKOM as being a main stream radio genre.
Here, by the early  Forties when I was 11 or 12 years old,  the main music
on the radio was `dance music` Henry Hall, Geraldo, Cyril Stapleton etc and
then the `real` swing bands began to take over,under the influence of the
American Big Bands,  The Squadronaires, Joe Loss, and so on. Again this was
music for dancing. Dance Halls were full every night of the week. There were
plenty of small groups still working and I was attending Sunday afternoon
concerts listening to, Vic Lewis, Harry Gould, Nat Gonella, Ray Ellington
Quartet.
Bop emerged and split the ranks and a good slice of the music became to
clever to whistle or dance to. There was a lot of experimentation, Kenny
Baker and his AfroCubists and so forth but never really big.
The big jazz revival came along with Acker, Lightfoot, Ball, and then it all
went to hell.  There was still work playing the `old` dance music but it was
no longer the main stuff on the radio.
There are still dozens of jazz (OKOM) bands  playing in the UK , more per
square mile than in the States I suspect, but it is mainly club gigs and
festivals.  Festivals are well attended but few youngsters appear.

Thats my take on it . Probably way off beam.  Exit stage left. Whistling.../

Cheers

Pat

Pat