[Dixielandjazz] Quotes in messages

EDWIN COLTRIN boreda at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 9 18:43:30 PST 2007

Thanks, it's been a long time since I was involved with the many different OS' . Having gone through the Trash IV, the Altair do-it-yourself, COCO, Commodore, Cobol,  ++.and all the others, time well spent but probably wasted now as most everything has settled down.
  That was a long time ago. I figured that the incompatibility was the reason for the anomalies. I just ignored them.

  Slainte,

  Ed ( MY that Talisker is tasty) Coltrin

  Hope one and all enjoyed  HOGMANAY

Scott Anthony <santh at pacbell.net> wrote:
  Like I said in an earlier post, the ASCII mappings for all kinds of
non-alphabetic characters (like punctuation and apostrophies, etc.) are
different between Macs, Windows, and Unix, although now that Macs basically
use Unix as the underlying operating system, they should be very similar.
Also, line endings for the 3 main systems are different - old Macs used just
a carriage-return character (CR), Unix uses just a line-feed (LF), and
Windows uses both (LF/CR). This is probably one of the main causes of the
little boxes that sometimes show up, although any unrecognized character
will show up as a box in some systems.

In addition, to make things even more complicated, since about 1997 or so
the Windows OSs based on Windows NT (which is all of them now I think) use
what is called UNICODE (wide characters or 16-bit characters) that allows
for character sets up to 65,536 characters (as opposed to ASCII which is
only 8-bits per character or 256 characters total).

I was a full-time software engineer who, among other projects, designed one
of the earliest on-line business card (and other printed business materials)
design software systems. Font/character mappings were a large part of what I
did. One related thing I did that took at least 6 months was to finally
convince Quark (of Quark Express) that they had a bug in their Mac color
separation software that puked on files created under Windows. This was all
caused by the fact that Macs used just a CR at the end of a line and Windows
used CR/LF. What a pain.

Scott Anthony