[Dixielandjazz] Why quote marks appear as Question marks.

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 9 09:40:01 PST 2007

"Fred  Hoeptner" <fredhep at earthlink.net> asked

> Can anyone explain why, in the digest, most, but not all, apostrophes and
> quotation marks display as question marks?  Is it only on my computer?  It
> sometimes becomes a bit disconcerting.

Don't know the technical answer but I do know this. When ever I post a copy
of an article from a third source, all the quote marks originally in that
article then appear on the DJML as question marks.

I am on a Mac and simply highlighted the article and then copied it to the
email to the DJML.  When I read the article back before I send it, the quote
marks are there. But when it appears on the DJML, they have been replaced by
question marks.

Where I write something myself and use a quote mark, that quote mark still
appears as a quote mark on the DJML.

Why it happens is beyond me.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone