[Dixielandjazz] Fiddle-Horn

Tamas Ittzes bohem at fibermail.hu
Mon Jan 8 16:06:38 PST 2007

Hi Roy and all,

I know that a few listmates have answered already. Yes, the instrument
you saw was the so-called Stroh violin (or phono fiddle). As far as I
know it was invented by a guy named Stroh (born in Germany, raised in
England) at the very beginning of the 20th century. It used to be quiet
common in the early jazz-days. I do own one Stroh and play it from time
to time in my band. You can see my instrument on our website at
www.bohemragtime.com (then band site - pictures of it can be found on
the "News" page and on the "Discography" page on the cover of the CD
Early Hungarian Jazz

Direct links:
http://www.bohemragtime.com/english/news.htm
http://www.bohemragtime.com/english/discogr1.htm#Hungarian

Here are a few direct links:
http://www.bohemragtime.com/images/siklos-stroh.jpg
http://www.bohemragtime.com/images/early.jpg
http://www.bohemragtime.com/images/sziget06-17.jpg
http://www.bohemragtime.com/images/foter200408.jpg

Best regards,

Tamas
Tamas ITTZES
violin teacher, ragtime pianist, festival organizer
Bohem Ragtime Jazz Band
Kecskemet Jazz Foundation
Mailing address: H-6001 KECSKEMET, Pf. 652., Hungary
Phone: +36(20)82-447-82
E-mails: tamas at bohemragtime.com, bohem at fibermail.hu
Web site: http://www.bohemragtime.com

It had the expected neck and bridge assembly, but was amplified not by a
wooden body, but a brass neck that hooked up from the bottom of the
strings aiming up at a 45 degree angle away from the player and bell
that looked like it could have been from an old alto horn.  Not great
sound, but still violin-nish.  Could this have been an instrument from
the early days of acoustic recordings when sound level was a premium, or
just a construction thrown together by Santa's elves?