[Dixielandjazz] Jazz is Alive and Well - In the ClassroomAnyway

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon Jan 8 08:58:16 PST 2007

I'm sure that's the way to go.  Jazz is a hands on art.  I just don't see
how you could learn any other art from a book.  Yes you can get ideas and
the basics but you can't as they say "swing".  The worst thing that a good
friend of mine could say about a musician or band was they didn't swing.

Everyone has a different technical ability and understanding of jazz but I
will also go out on a limb here and say that no matter what those two levels
are I can tell if the person swings or not.  I also include music and
musicians that are not "swing" musicians.  I can hear it in some students
from a very early stage and I can also hear the opposite.  Some people just
can't and I don't know exactly why.  Maybe they are just too conservative.
Some people can't public speak either.  I remember when I was just a
beginner in about 6th grade trying to improvise on a tune.  I didn't even
know what improv was or that it was OK.  My old Italian teacher who was very
traditional didn't think much of any pop music and I'm sure he would have
consigned me to hell if he knew I was playing pop tunes and changing them
around.  Heresy!!!

I'm sure that this is the very best advice that a musician can give to a
young musician who wants to learn jazz.  With the technical advances we have
now you don't have the handicaps we worked under but then they don't have
the advantages either.
Larry
St. Louis