[Dixielandjazz] Srtudents in Jazz Schools - Was Jazz is Alive &Well - In The Classroom Anyway

Marek Boym nmboym at 012.net.il
Mon Jan 8 05:28:58 PST 2007

Hello Mike,
There was a long perid when "modernists" and "fygges" of various persuasions
(I include "Chicago" style, which wasn't exactly a "mouldy fygge" music)
could find jobs, but the great "swingers," such as Coleman Hawkins, Ben
Webster or Ruby Braff (especially the latter, as he was not only a swinger,
but also young) could not find work.  Many swing players had to turn to
"rhythm and blues" (just listen to Cootie Williams' recordings from the
1950's).
Cheers