[Dixielandjazz] Jazz is Alive and Well - In the Classroom Anyway

Mike mike at railroadstjazzwest.com
Sun Jan 7 10:17:16 PST 2007

Speaking as a student in a "jazz school" I have seen a lot of
professors that do not know how to play jazz much less teach it.
The Jamey Abersold's are very helpful; most students on my
campus are into buying transcriptions books and memorizing those
solos. It would be better to transcribe themselves that way they
have the solo plus the practice in ear training. On my campus I
also think that students don't listen nearly enough to jazz. You
can't know the language if you don't expose yourself to it. My
personal goals are to listen daily and to transribe a minimum of
one solo per week in addition to practice.

Mike