[Dixielandjazz] Early Music credits - Was Who wrote Tiger Rag

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 6 08:21:32 PST 2007

Mike <mike at railroadstjazzwest.com> wrote about Tiger Rag Authorship

> Nice information. Thanks Steve. I guess it's one of those
> mysteries in jazz that we'll never the whole story about.

I guess much of the early Dixieland music authorship is questionable. From
Tiger Rag to Livery Stable Blues to Muskrat Ramble.

Whoever copyrighted them first got the credit, but who really wrote them, or
was the primary influence for how some of these tunes were passed down is
very much in debate.

For example, the last section of Tiger Rag is completely based on the Bill
Bailey chord change sequence. Bill Bailey was written in 1902, so should the
writer of Bill Bailey get some credit? Or was there a Bill Bailey riff
played in a band somewhere after 1902 that resulted in its being copied for
Tiger Rag?

Me? I think some Italian musician wrote them all, as well as inventing jazz,
regardless of what Don Ingle says. :-) VBG

Cheers,
Steve Barbone