[Dixielandjazz] Guitarists & Banjoists Count in Storyville

Gluetje1 at aol.com Gluetje1 at aol.com
Fri Jan 5 20:01:22 PST 2007

Found my Al Rose authored, "Storyville, New Orleans", a book I found on
Amazon and really enjoy owning.  Anyhow Appendix F p. 204 is "A directory  of jazz
musicians who performed in the legally constituted tenderloin district  known
as Storyville between January 1, 1898 and November 17, 1917.  This  directory
identifies by name 20 guitarists, 12 banjoists, and 4 who list as
banjo/guitar.  Just to give you an example, Johnnie St. Cyr is listed as  "bj,g".  The
name just below his, Willie Santiage lists "g,bj".

The list does of course list all names with the instrument played.  I  was
just identifying the above because someone was recently raising the question  of
how much banjo compared to guitar in early jazz.
Ginny