[Dixielandjazz] Post-Genre Music?

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Tue Jan 2 23:17:22 PST 2007

Charlie my man:  I always admire your thought and input on these
matters but for a 2007 opener mate you have outdone yourself, the
following post is as profound as any I expect to see on this esteemed
list of colleague all year :))

Like you I have not followed Poetry, as a matter of fact I usually run
in the opposite direction, :))
just not usually my thing. a bit too Bohemian for my high energy
tastes. :))

everyone keep s trying t reinvent the wheel and often forgetting our
influences that shaped our individual interpretations of music,
  ( often mistaken for Originality) in the endless pursuit of something
New and totally different :))

How funny that the more original it becomes the more familiar it sound
to something we have heard before :))

Music ain't nothin' but a bunch of notes, it's what you do with them on
any given date and time that counts!!

Cheers, and Keep Swingin' any way that you like.  And if you find an
agreeable audience for how you swing it more power to ya  !!

Tom Wiggins

Post-modernism as I understand it tried to make room for the
diffuseness of contemporary arts like Post-Genre Poetry—and maybe, jazz
since the 70s. I haven’t followed poetry that closely but it seems to
me that what has happened in jazz is an openness to “genre-jumping,” as
my son used to call it. And maybe what has happened is not so much an
absence of new definable genres as it is a synthesis of familiar
elements from existing genres--all those "fusions"--you name 'em.

The recent changes aren't neat as the “traceable next step” theories
that we’re accustomed too (and maybe, have accepted too readily) in the
history of the arts. But in a way it’s nice to relax the compulsive
category-making that we’ve inherited in Western society and experience
all music as “just music,” as raw experience. We can even revisit the
musics we’ve long known and bring a fresh, original mind to them.

Charlie Suhor