[Dixielandjazz] Don't call it jazz (was Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 49, Issue 3)

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Tue Jan 2 15:22:35 PST 2007

> I've been using the word "jazz" as little as possible on the air because the
record companie have thrown so much stuff on the wall to see what sticks,
and called it 'jazz', that all the kids hear is some of the most boring
stuff you can imagine. Boring!! Ask any kid if he likes jazz, and he'll say
no!  But, play the real thing for that poor benighted kid and the response
is gangbusters.<

Dear Roger,
Thank you for the interesting comments regarding keeping our music alive.
I particularly liked the one above, and agree with your thinking.
For yonks, here in Australia, I have been saying "I don't care what they
call it, but I wish they wouldn't call it jazz."
With your obviously long jazz pedigree, I wonder if you are related to the
cornet player Charlie DeVore from Minneapolis, who was involved in the jazz
scene in New Orleans during the mid to late 1950s.
Recorded with Kid Thomas, the Hall Brothers Jazz Band, listmate Butch
Thompson and is a mate of drummer Doggie Berg, who I have met.
I have never known Charlie. Just know about him.
Very kind regards,
Bill.