[Dixielandjazz] Buglin Sam/ Kress Horns

D and R Hardie darnhard at ozemail.com.au
Tue Jan 2 14:20:45 PST 2007

Hi all,
  As Charles has pointed out Buglin' Sam was probably too young to have
influenced Armstrong but for those interested there is a photo of him
on the waffle wagon in Rose and Souchon's New Orleans Jazz a Family
Album. He played what looks like an ordinary US army bugle more like a
trumpet then the British Army one. The drawing  of the Kress horn on
the Coda magazine  website I referred to in a previous posting seems a
bit exaggerated but it does give the general idea.
regards
Dan Hardie
http://tinyurl.com/nqaup