[Dixielandjazz] The appeal of jazz in Europe

Marek Boym nmboym at 012.net.il
Mon Jan 1 04:04:33 PST 2007

Hello Charles,
I guess it's a matter of accessibility.
The bands in Enkhuizen play in bars with no cover.  The festival features
outdoor events, the expenses being covered by sponsors or the municipality
(the same goes for Breda and other festivals; in de Bos, for example, all
events were outdoor and free).  people learn to know the musik and to like
it.  In Breda, they have kids learn about it in school, and have "jazz
projects" towards the festival.  And there is much less "trad"-"mod" strife,
with lots of people attending both OKOM and modern events (excluding myself,
of course).
Cheers