[Dixielandjazz] Gene Sheldon Video

Mike Woitowicz banjomusic at charter.net
Mon Jan 1 09:32:20 PST 2007

Fr. Mike said: "I've never seen a banjo player strum the neck!,..."

This is a common technique employed by banjoists to get a softer, muted tone in different parts of a song. It's used quite often by solo banjo professionals. It's also part "show off."

In the Sheldon video, you will also hear a mute sound which is activated by a "knee mute". This lever arrangement causes a mute device inside the banjo pot to touch the head and give it a softer tone. Sheldon does it so smoothly that you can hardly tell he's activated it.

Also, if you watch carefully in the video, you will see Sheldon performing a "Figure 8" stroke style at the end of the last song, Alabama Jubilee. This four string stroke technique was performed by vaudeville performers a lot, but is seldom used these days. At least I don't see it much.

I've seen the video countless times, and am still enthralled by his tasty Eb version of "Coquette" , which is not an easy tune in that key on the tenor banjo.

Mike Woitowicz
The Banjo Barons Ragtime Band
The Dixie Barons Dixieland Band
www.banjomusic.biz