[Dixielandjazz] ASCAP And Licencing

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Wed Feb 28 05:11:28 PST 2007

Ray Osnato wrote regarding ASCAP and the licensing of tunes on a CD:

(snip)
We do this daily at my little record company, where we issue about 75
records a year.  I don't handle this part of the business but let's look at
Steve's
numbers since I have no reason to doubt them.  You've pressed  1000 CDs that
you are going to sell for $15 a pop at your gigs.  $15,000 in  my book.  A
quick check of the Internet shows you can get a short run of  1000 CDs for
$1,200.  With Steve's figure of $1,200 for licensing that  leaves you with
over
$12,000 profit.  Even if it cost you $2500 to record  it, you've still made
$10,000 on the venture.  Not a bad return on your  investment.
(snip)

Ray, one flaw in your figures is not figuring in the cost of recording,
mixing, mastering, art work, type setting.  Also, payment to your musicians.

This can run into thousands of dollars.

--Bob Ringwald K6YBV
916/806-9551
www.ringwald.com
--
Leader, The Fulton Street Jazz Band
www.fultonstreetjazz.com

 In the 60's, people took LSD to make the world weird. Now the world is
weird
and people take Prozac to make it normal.