[Dixielandjazz] OPERA Celebrates a 400th Anniversary - Will OKOM do the s...

Steven Holzer slholzer at iquest.net
Tue Feb 27 21:00:38 PST 2007

I think you will find that we are already too late. I know that some
festivals and jazz clubs    celebrated the 100th anniversary of jazz a
few years agone. I don't know what they counted as the inaugural event
(i.e. birthdate) of jazz. I don't think I'm being inaccurate when I say
that nobody knows exactly when (or where) jazz first manifested, as
opposed to ragtime or any of the other predecessor musics, which
certainly should have celebrated their  100th anniversaries a decade or
more ago.  It probably depends on how you define jazz (and we don't want
to go there, do we!). I'm sure there's a defensible rationale for
celebrating now, too. Just don't expect any kind of unanimity.

Steve Holzer