[Dixielandjazz] Drummers

glen page gpage at dccnet.com
Tue Feb 27 19:32:25 PST 2007

I have never been a fan of drummers, as I am of Ladnier,Johnny Dodds, or Big
Jim ,however my mindset was altered when I went to hear the Preservation
Hall J. B. on Oct 10th 1971 in Pullman ,Washington. Our family were visiting
friends in Spokane, Wa. and I was reading the local paper before dinner when
I see "Jazz Band to perform at Pullman," which is the site of the Washington
State University. I still have the clipping from the paper. It turned out
that the PHJB were to play there that night. I promptly informed my hosts
that I would not be home for dinner and tried to find out where Pullman was.
Seems I had to drive 3 hrs or so to get there via Moscow, so I can say that
I spent midnight in Moscow on the return trip.

I was very disappointed to find out that Big Jim was unable to play, Frank
Demond filled in for him, but the chance to hear Dede and Billie in the
flesh was all I needed to drive through country roads.I arrived in good time
so I visited a libation dispensing premise to kill time before the concert
which was in a large gymnasium on campus. No sooner had the band started
than I recognized that I had not heard drumming like that before. Cie opened
my mind to the joys of hearing great drumming. I have heard him several
times in the flesh since that, and of course many times on record, but never
to such good effect.

Dede is one of my favorite trumpet man but I confess that my ears were
focused on the tins and skins that night.What an experience it was. The
drive back to Spokane was a challenge via unlight back roads but fortunately
I was in a V.W. camper so I managed to have a kip en route and got back in
time for breakfast.

I cannot recall being so enthralled with a drummer since that time ,
although I have heard some good men in the interim. My mind was opened to
the great possibilities of the value of the contribution of a great drummer
to a good N.O. BAND.

Glen.