[Dixielandjazz] Herlin Riley

Janie McCue Lynch janie39 at socal.rr.com
Tue Feb 27 12:57:06 PST 2007

Sue, Dave, et al.....

Yes, Herlin is most excellent.  Must agree even more so regarding Hal Smith,
though.

I heard him for the first time in approximately 1991....and I will always
remember that that was the first time that I ever really "heard" a drummer
in such a distinctive fashion, a "musical drummer."   What a revelation!

My musical "hearing" has developed over the years so that I can easily make
those distinctions....and Hal remains a most elegant drummer, in all genres.

My twenty-five cents!  :-)

Jane Lynch

janie39 at socal.rr.com

Dave,

I think Herlin is fantastic; he can play a different rhythm with each hand
and foot, and have it all come out perfectly. My other favorite traditional
drummer (and teacher) is Hal Smith.

Sue