[Dixielandjazz] Baby Dodds style drumming on YouTube -or is it?

John Petters jdpetters at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 27 12:33:09 PST 2007

Hi Dave,
I am of course aware of Herlin Riley and a very fine player he is
indeed. I looked at the video you listed below and what he is doing is
certainly in the tradition and very effective, although I do not like
the tone of his dampened drums.

One observation, when playing blocks, like most other drummers, his beat
is precise. What makes Dodds interesting is his  elastic time.
Have a listen to this:
http://www.traditional-jazz.com/assets/clips/babyhop.mp3
or:
http://www.traditional-jazz.com/assets/clips/babydrumsolo.mp3

and for something really special try Black Happy Goldston with
Celestin's band (inc Picou) on Lil Liza Jane. His solo is magnificent.
Cheers
John Petters
www.traditional-jazz.com
Amateur Radio Station G3YPZ