[Dixielandjazz] Baby Dodds style drumming on YouTube -or is it?

John Petters jdpetters at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 27 08:35:44 PST 2007

Fr M J (Mike) Logsdon wrote:
 > Quite a few years ago, GHB issued a videotape of rare footage of
N.O.-style drummers, one of the segments being Baby Dodds.  I haven't
seen this VHS; has anyone else?  Is it worth obtaining?,

Hi Mike,
It most certainly is. Sadly, there was no soundtrack or if there was it
was lost. Barry Martyn dubbed a fairly close track taken from Baby's
recordings. This is essential viewing for anyone remotely interested in
  20th century music let alone traditional jazz. This is one of the real
roots of jazz. It is relatively easy to approximate the sound of Zutty,
Gene, Geo. Wettling etc, and I deliberately use the word approximate
because these guys were very special indeed. Baby Dodds on the other
hand was something else and his sense of time was amazing.

--
John Petters
www.traditional-jazz.com