[Dixielandjazz] Baby Dodds style drumming on YouTube -or is it?

John Petters jdpetters at btinternet.com
Tue Feb 27 05:04:18 PST 2007

Greetings folks,
As a result of a suggestion on the Jazz Legends Forum, I decided to make
a series of video clips demonstrating some of the techniques used in
traditional jazz drumming. I started with the basic press roll as used
by Baby Dodds, Zutty, Tony Sbarbaro, Krupa, Bauduc etc, although each
brought their own variations.

Early style jazz drumming is in danger of becoming a lost art with most
drummers in traditional bands either unaware or disinterested in the
early styles.

This situation is compounded when other drummers from outside the idiom
demonstrate these styles and get it wrong.

A drummer named Jeff Indyke, a fine drummer, has uploaded a video
entitled,"Jeff talks and plays in the style of Baby Dodds". He claimed
Baby made records in 1908.

His actual playing is fine in a Krupaesque manor - but is nothing
remotely near Baby.
the link is
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg4pSL82E5g

My press roll link, which includes a clip of the technique used with a
quartet is at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrNJ_HpFCAo

Comments welcomed,

--