[Dixielandjazz] Fwd: Roof Garden Jazz Band Concert

Marek Boym marekboym at gmail.com
Mon Feb 26 15:04:32 PST 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Marek Boym <marekboym at gmail.com>
Date: 27-Feb-2007 01:03
Subject: Re: [Dixielandjazz] Roof Garden Jazz Band Concert
To: Steve Barbone <barbonestreet at earthlink.net>

Recreations are fine, as long as they are not slavish copies.
Thus, the British "Muggsy Remebered" are great, as is Gordon
Witworth's Bix tribute.  Also, while listening to Randy Sanke's
Hackett tribut at Waterloo Village, NJ, I heard a complaint "He's
playing a tribute to Bobby Hackett but palys like Armstrong" - to my
mind, a great compliment: Sandke played himself!
Judging by the pr. blurb, this sounds as a slavish copy, but then, I
missed a great group at den Bos due to a public relations blurb
mentioning some Coltrane influence.  I caught the group in Amsterdam
playing on the street, and if there were any influences, they were
alionel Hampton - Django - Red Norvo!
Cheers