[Dixielandjazz] The Tune Sleuths

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 26 13:25:17 PST 2007

Got a note from a large public park venue where we are playing a concert
this summer. It said:

"The County Solicitor's Office was contacted by SESAC (Society of European
Stage Authors & Composers) concerning musical content of the musical
concerts being performed in the county. I know of two other organizations
(BMI & ASCAP) that are also contacting local municipalities about paying for
a customer license to play music that is copyrighted by their organization.
etc., etc."

"Therefore please list:"

"Song name/title of those you are performing / Writer of the song / and the
publisher of the song."

"We need this information for our Solicitor etc., etc."

What to do? I prepared a 20 song program of songs all written before 1920
and told them that they were "head" arrangements by me. Also stated that all
of these songs were in public domain, no royalties due etc. Worked fine.

---

Reminded me of another Pee Wee Russell Anecdote: NBC broadcast circa 1940/41
Pee Wee Russell, Joe Sullivan, Dave Tough and Eddie Condon to perform two
songs.

At rehearsal, the afternoon of the broadcast two tune sleuths appear and
asked for name of each number they are going to play. First was a Sullivan
original and sleuths agree no royalties due. Second number was a blues.

Condon told Russell to say it was a Condon original, untitled and unscored.
When Russell did so, the sleuths were dubious. So they played it for them,
Pee Wee improvising while the rest played background blues chords.

"It sounds all right" said one sleuth, "but how do we know that he (pointing
to Pee Wee) is going to play it the same way on the broadcast? He has no
score to go by."

Condon takes him aside and in a confidential manner says: "Don't you know
about Pee Wee Russell? He has a very retentive mind. Once he has played a
thing he  never varies it, he repeats the same notes time after time. It is
considered one of the most remarkable musical accomplishments in America."

Sleuth nods and says; "I remember now. I knew he was famous but couldn't
remember why."

That night on the broadcast, Pee Wee, who is utterly incapable of playing
anything in even approximately the same way twice, gave a fresh
improvisation of the blues. When the program was done, the sleuth shook
Condon's hand and said:

"That Pee Wee is surely a remarkable man, isn't he. He played it tonight
exactly the way he played it this afternoon." He then added after a sigh,
"If we had as little trouble with other musicians as we had with him, our
jobs would be easy."

(From "WE CALLED IT MUSIC" by Eddie Condon)

Cheers,
Steve Barbone