[Dixielandjazz] Crappy pianos - the solution

Rick Knittel knittelsportland at juno.com
Sun Feb 25 13:57:10 PST 2007

In the Cornell Spring Weekrnd of 1959, our band played something like 8
or 9 fraternity house gigs from Friday evening through Sunday afternoon.
On one of them, it turned out to be a pool party where the piano was
purchased for $25 just for he gig and was worth less than that.

At some point during the last number (probably Tiger Rag) the fraternity
social committee chairman decided that they would torch the piano while
we were still playing. Gasoline was applied, ignited and our piano man,
Teddy Primack insisted on continuing to play it to its dying moment.
Alarmed when the flames stated licking at the trees above the pool,
several of the brothers pushed the piano into the pool to douse the
flames and Teddy jumped in after it.

Rick Knittel - JAZZBONE
The Maine Street Paraders