[Dixielandjazz] Wish-list for brass band

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Sat Feb 24 17:56:07 PST 2007

     Hey, you folks on the Tuba-Euphonium list and the Dixieland Jazz
Mailing List, it occurred to me that some of you are also members of
British-style brass bands around the world.
     OK, OK, i know, this ain't tuba-euphonium nor jazz-related, but
gimme a break.
     I'm playing Eb Bass in a new brass band in Austin, Texas, called
The Austin Wonder Brass.  (No matter how piteously we pleaded with
our founder, he stuck with that name, in which the second 's' in
"brass" is optional.)  We have a website at
http://www.austinwonderbrass.com/index.html.
     We're only about two years old and are trying to locate some
good, characteristic, interesting music to play--but we have very
little money to spend on such fripperies.
     Can you high, exalted players in established bands recommend some
good pieces or arrangements that we might be able to buy for not much
money?  Probably not contest-pieces, we're not that good yet, and
don't even have full instrumentation in all sections.
     But if you know of some killer pieces, please send me their names
and maybe some stores or websites where we might be able to order
them.
     Thanks!

     Dan

P. S. We might be able to do some trading of parts with you.  I've
done an arrangement for brass band, and our Dear Leader has done
several, of pieces not yet published for brass band.
**  Dan Augustine  --  Austin, Texas  --  ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
**     "Brass bands are all very well in their place - outdoors
**      and several miles away." -- Sir Thomas Beecham