[Dixielandjazz] Searching the web I just found this review of St. Gabriel's Celestial Brass Band

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Fri Feb 23 21:42:53 PST 2007

I edited a couple of his expletives out and inserted George Alexanders
name which he did not remember.  George is 82 years young and retired
from touring with us five years ago.  No more Marching for him. :))

Of particular note: The last sentence:

We must be doing something right :))

Tom Wiggins

Wednesday, January 25, 2006   By Mr. Lee   Wisconsin.

 St. Gabriel’s Celestial Brass Band

Most people I know have no connection whatsoever to jazz. The music
bores them. They think they don’t get it. It’s either too complex or
too antiquated. They can’t relate to it in any visceral sort of way.
Like me, they grew up listening to rock, and that’s a lousy foundation
for developing an ear for any music that isn’t rock.

I used to try and turn my friends on to all these outdated sounds I
can’t keep away from, but I’ve largely given up on that. I got tired of
seeing their faces go blank with disinterest in the presence of
something as boisterous and engaging as Bud Freeman’s 1939 recordings.
Still, there’s a part of me that can’t keep from proselytizing. There
are a few modern Brass Bands out there that are great for getting
people who have no taste for jazz into this music; Bands like the New
Birth Brass Band or the Tremè Brass Band or the New Orleans
Nightcrawlers are jazz bands that are hard for anyone to resist.

And here’s another excellent brass band that I heard for the first time
a couple weeks ago – St. Gabriel’s Celestial Brass Band. These guys
play tough. You can hear every shade of Jazz in their music; from blues
through swing and into modern jazz. A deep funk lurks beneath all of
it. Listening to some of their songs last night I even experienced a
weird moment where I heard the trumpet player (George Alexander ),
he’s a hot player by any standard) get off a few be-bop licks that
actually made sense to me. NOW, that was a shock!

Here’s a link to their website where they have a choice bunch of
downloads waiting. On first listen keep an ear out for the guys on
baritone sax and tuba. The way they play off each other is incredible.
 http://www.sonicbids.com/StGabrielscelestialbrassband

If Jazz is going survive as a living music and not just something
“preserved” by academics or music hall Kulture Kops it’ll be bands like
this one that make it happen.