[Dixielandjazz] An Evening With Lensa Horne

Don Ingle dingle at nomadinter.net
Fri Feb 23 08:33:41 PST 2007

Steve Barbone wrote:it I used to have some 78's in my teen years of the
Chamber Music Society of Lower Basin Street with Hank Lavine's jazz band
and on one side I recall was Lena singing -- she was at that time and in
performance every bit the jazz singer.  There were also several sides
with Dinah Shore singing and she could belt out a J.C. Handy blues tune
well enough to qualify as a jazz singer. Unfortunately, singers twend to
be guided by A&R types into doing commercially drab material and lose
the inner spirit of the jazz "feel" in their work. Good examples were
Kay Starr, Rosemary Clooney, and others who became far mre noted for
their pop pap than their jazz vocalizing. But some, like Clooney, came
back to it later in their life and career and we got a new and fresh
reason to listen to them.
Lena Horne -- I might add, had a direct link to classic jazz. She
married a piano man who had worked and recorded with Beiderbecke, Lenny
Haiden ((sp?) who was also a great studio arranger and conductor. I had
a chance to hear her live in L.A. once at a Hollywood Bowl special, and
when  she turned those flashing, direct eyes on you, even at a distance,
the song, "Jeeper Creepers, where's you get  those peepers" came to
mind. There was fire and sparks burning within when she sang that came
through, and that is an element of most great jazz perfomance.
Hell yes, she's a jazz singer.
Don Ingle