[Dixielandjazz] Plantation Moods...Bunny B

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Feb 22 21:38:54 PST 2007

Dear Bob,
Sorry about the delay, been working on the house all morning.
"Plantation Moods" (1933. David Rose- Frankie Trumbauer).
First an apology.
Bunny Berigan is not on the JT (Jack Teagarden) version. It is, of course,
brother Charlie Teagarden. So much for my memory!
Even more confusion as well.
I have had a Berigan ASV Living Era CD for many years and always loved
"Plantation Moods". Played it a lot. Much better that its session mate
"Troubled".
However, just now, while composing this email, I played both again. Then
played Jack Teagarden's "Plantation Moods". Much slower. Mmmmmmmm sounds
like a different tune!
Then the penny dropped. ASV have reversed the two Trumbauer titles, and I
never knew [what a great name for a song]!
Which shows how often I play the JT version.
Red face day for me.
It may even be the case that what you have from your fan is a 'clip' of the
faster "Troubled" -  which opens with 2-bars of band, then muted trumpet,
whereas "Plantation Moods" has a clarinet intro.
Here are the personnel details for both the Teagarden and Trumbauer
sessions. As can be seen there are a few well-known faces in both groups.

JACK TEAGARDEN AND HIS ORCHESTRA.
Claude Whiteman, Charlie Teagarden, t; Jack Teagarden, tb; Tom Moore, tb;
Rod Cless, cl/as; Buddy Fisk, as; Dale Skinner, cl/ts; Bud Freeman, ts;
Charles LaVere, p; Dick McPartland, g; Eddie Gilbert, sb; Bob Conselman, d.
David Rose (arr)
Recorded for Columbia in Chicago, July 29, 1933
I've Got "It"
Plantation Moods
Shake Your Hips

FRANKIE TRUMBAUER AND HIS ORCHESTRA.
Bunny Berigan, Nat Natoli, t; Glenn Miller, tb; Frankie Trumbauer, c-mel;
Artie Shaw, cl/as; Jack Shore, as; Larry Binyon, ts; Roy Bargy, p; Lionel
Hall, g; Artie Bernstein, sb; Jackie Williams, d.
Recorded for Victor in New York, November 20, 1934
Blue Moon
Plantation Moods
Down 'T Uncle Bill's
Troubled
[I still do not have this complete session on LP or CD. The only CD I know
is a French Classics 1275, now deleted.)

If you want to listen to both versions of the "Plantation Moods" above, go
to the indispensable Red Hot Jazz Archive.
I can't help with a lead sheet and it is not in the 'Anderson Index'.
However, we have a few keen and helpful DJMLers who, I am certain, will come
to your rescue.
Kind regards,
Bill.