[Dixielandjazz] Silver Bell / Sometimes my Burden...

Ingemar Wågerman gota_river at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 22 02:30:16 PST 2007

The second theme of Percy Wenrich´s rag "Silver Bell" is often played by
traditional jazz bands with the title "Sometimes my burden is (so) hard to
bear". (Some bands play the two first themes with that title!)  Did Wenrich
use an existing spiritual / gospel or is it the other way round? As far as I
know, there are no recordings of "Sometimes my burden..." before Bunk
Johnson 1942. Grand Dominion Jazzband credits a Georgia Jones for this tune
(The Spiritual Album). Who is / was she? Additional information???

Ingemar Wågerman
Gota River Jazzmen
http://listen.to/gotariver