[Dixielandjazz] R.I.P. Ray Evans Great American Songwriter @ 92

tcashwigg at aol.com tcashwigg at aol.com
Mon Feb 19 18:03:52 PST 2007

Ray Evans died of an apparent Heart attack on Thursday evening.

He was the long time Major Hit song writing partner of Jay Livingston
who died in 2001.  Together they wrote for movies in Hollywood and
penned such classics as  "Buttons & Bows", Mona Lisa, What ever will be
will be"  (Que Sera Sera.)  together they wrote 26 songs that sold 1
million copies or more.   They had four Oscar nominated songs beyond
the three that won, including "The Cat & The Canary"
"Tammy" sung By Debbie Reynolds, "Almost in Your arms"   and "Dear
Heart" which they wrote the lyrics for the Henry Mancini melody,  which
became a big hit for Andy Williams.   They also wrote the Christmas
Standard  "Silver Bells" introduced in the Bob Hope-Marilyn Maxwell
comedy "The Lemon Drop Kid"  "Silver Bells is said to have sold more
than 160 million recordings by 150  different artists.

They also wrote the Theme songs for "Bonanza" and "Mr. Ed"

NOt bad for a clarinet player from Salamanca, N.Y. Ray joined Jay
Livingston's band and they played crusie ships on their school
vacations, and college dances, and parties.

I could be wrong but I don't Believe they write 'em like that anymore
:))

He Looks lot like Steve Barbone might look if he makes it to 92 and the
photo in the paper fits perfectly to Steve, it is with a " Pretty
Little Girl" about 30ish" an entertainment reporter  Virginia Looseleaf
 as recently as August 2006.

Way to go out Ray.  Thanks for the songs and R.I.P.

Tom Wiggins