[Dixielandjazz] Where is the music going?

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 18 16:12:50 PST 2007

Where is the music going? Not to us DJMLer Bands it seems, but  to Harry
Connick Jr., & Marsalis Music.

"Chanson du Vieux Carre" - Marsalis Music
Recorded in 2003, Released January 30, 2007.

You can hear it at:
http://www.amazon.com/Chanson-Vieux-Carre-Harry-Connick/dp/B000ICMFNK

1. Someday You'll Be Sorry
2. Panama
3. Ash Wednesday
4. Chanson du Vieux Carré
5. Bourbon Street Parade
6. Petite Fleur
7. Fidgety Feet
8. Luscious
9. New Orleans.
10. I Still Get Jealous
11. That's A Plenty
12. Mardi Gras in New Orleans

YOU MAY NO LIKE WHAT YOU HEAR ON IT. HOWEVER IT IS FAR BETTER THAN WHAT I
JUST SAW ON ABC NEWS TV AT 6:55 PM EASTERN STANDARD TIME, USA.

A 2 minute news blurb about the lack of Jazz this year at the clubs in New
Orleans. Showed the Jazz Vipers complaining about lack of audience. Talked
about the lack of customers going to hear jazz, America's only art form.

Customers, it said, "are voting with their feet and going to the Rock & Roll
Clubs, not to jazz venues." Etc., etc., etc.

Now that is a damned shame. When are we OKOM jazz musicians going to learn
how to market our music? How to connect with the young audience? Why doesn't
every OKOM band on the list have at least 5 Mardi Gras gigs this week?

Can't be done? Nonsense. We have met the enemy and they is us.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone