[Dixielandjazz] Hand of God

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Fri Feb 16 18:15:33 PST 2007

Dear Ingemar,
Sorry to be late with this reply, but I have been quite busy the last few
days.
When you replied to Jazz Jerry Brown's suggestion that the Australian
clarinet player you heard play it was NOT Jack McLaughlin, did you mean that
it was another Australian clarinet player you recall?
Jack has recorded the hymn as "The Hands [plural] Of God".
It is on Volume 3 of his 'Jack McLaughlin Plays Hymns'  series - PJT CD 103.
I have checked around with my mates here who play 'New Orleans style' jazz
(you know what I mean) and Jack seems to be the only Oz clarinettist who has
recorded this hymn.
It could have been Nick Polites from Melbourne, as this is also his 'thing',
and he often does duet work with Jack.
Both are friends of mine so I could check, if you want me too.
Both would also know if someone else has recorded it locally .
Kind regards,
Bill (who hates unsolved queries).