[Dixielandjazz] Beatle Jazz

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 14 17:41:45 PST 2007

A while back on a thread about playing "new" songs to gain new audience for
Dixieland, someone suggested Beatles tunes, some of which are adaptable to
OKOM.

The modern guys are ahead of us, see below from a promo mailed to me. There
are mp3s on the web site. Not OKOM but fun if you are a Beatle's fan.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

Beatlejazz is the brainchild of drummer-percussionist Brian Melvin and
pianist David Kikoski. Brian has been adapting Beatles' music to jazz for
over 15 years. They decided to record his ideas in 1999. That is when
Beatlejazz first started. The first CD, "A Bite of The Apple" was recorded
and released in 2001. The first two CDs were in a trio format with Charles
Fambrough on bass. It was an instant success and reached the top ten on the
Gavin radio charts. The second CD was "Another Bite of The Apple" which was
released in 2002 and again was in the top ten of Jazz radio. Then in 2005
Beatlejazz released "With A Little Help from Our Friends", featuring Michael
Brecker, John Scofield, Mike Stern, Randy Brecker, Larry Grenadier, and
Boris Kozlov. The group decided to add some friends and add some new colors
to their sound. This was an international hit and hailed as one of the years
best CDs. Now coming in 2007 is "All You Need". This is simply an
outstanding new piece of work and will feature Richard Bona, Joe Lovano,
Toots Thielemans, Larry Grenadier along with new arrangements by Brian and
David. Beatlejazz plans to tour as a trio and add a featured guest here and
there. We hope to see you soon. Peace and Light. Beatlejazz.

http://www.brianmelvin.com/beatlejazz.htm